Incident Reporting Software >> What is Incident Reporting
What is Incident Reporting and why do we need it?
An Incident Reporting process is about capturing the details of an incident such as a safety incident, security, property damage, near miss or safety observation and submitting them to a nominated contact for follow up. This process can lead to identifying the risks, failures and hazards that led to the incident and result in applying improvements to avoid future incident reports. An Incident Report can be in relation to any type of incident occurrence. The follow on process typically involves a corrective action, investigation, hazard report and review. Incident Reporting is an important part of every organisation for awareness, recording and action relating to near miss incidents, injuries, safety observations, corrective actions and follow up procedures to ensure people work and remain safe in the workplace.
- injury or illness, property damage or security incident occurs in the workplace
- the details are reported via an incident report form. Details include what happened, where and why it happened
- the incident report is then managed by the relevant investigation team. This might include investigating why it happened and why it won't happen again.
- Follow up actions might include risk controls, preventative measures, evidence gathering, comments from managers and even medical reports
- A hazard report might be lodged to investigate which hazards led to the incident, if any
- when the incident is finished being managed, it is ready to be closed
- registry of what incidents have occurred with historical trends and analysis
- ability to categorise and classify incidents by type, site, department, location in order to track poor performance and hist risk workplaces and areas
- ensure every incident reported is investigated and actioned to ensure it can be prevented from happening again
- ability to see what incidents have occurred and prevent future ones from happening
Common Incident Reporting Tools
- Reporting incidents via an app
- Reporting incidents online via a web portal